I’ve been making my own spaghetti sauce for quite awhile now, and I want to encourage you to make your own too. Now, yes it’s so easy to just use the store bought kind-and there’s many of those to choose from. But even with all the choices out there, it’s hard to find one that not’s loaded with horrible chemicals and nearly impossible to find one that good for you. Most commercial made sauces contain high fructose corn syrup. That’s one ingredient we try to totally avoid. It’s actually better if it just contains sugar. But do you really want sweet spaghetti or pizza? There is also chemical preservatives which we can do without.
I decided a few years ago to come up with my own sauce and this is what developed. It has carrots for added sweetness and if you finely chop them the kids will never know they’re eating them-score! I LOVE garlic-I mean I really LOVE garlic-the taste, smell, and health benefits! I tend to add a lot of it to my recipes. If your not crazy about it, try adding a little and sautéing it on very low heat for longer-it makes it sweeter. I even add chopped mushrooms from time to time and my kids don’t notice-score again! As for the herb seasonings, I can get a little overzealous with those, so feel free to change up those according to your taste.
To make life simpler, I always make at least a double batch of this and freeze it in smaller containers. That makes spaghetti and pizza night a breeze-just thaw and spread on pizza or heat in a pot with my meat for spaghetti.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8 baby carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 whole onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes home canned is best
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley optional
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms optional
- Sautee carrots in butter for about 3 min on low. Add onions and cook for 3-5 min until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1-3 min making sure not to burn garlic. Add crushed tomatoes, herbs, and mushrooms (if adding). Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low, stirring occasionally for 30 min.* *This sauce is done when it is hot throughout, but I like to cook it for about 30 min to thicken it some and let the flavors mix.
If the tomatoes are too acidic, add some butter!
If making pizza this is enough for 2 meals, so I will freeze half. If making spaghetti this is enough for 1 meal for us with maybe some leftovers. But I always double this so I only have to make it about once a month.
I hope this inspires you ditch to boring store bought sauce and try your own!
Up next will be how to make pizza crust!
Leave a Reply